Friday, May 18, 2012

Foodie Friday: Bruschetta Chicken

Hello! Today I'm going to share an 'on the whim' recipe that I whipped up earlier this week. When people come visit I like to try and make something that is yummy and a little classier than my usual mac and cheese or grilled cheese (albeit gourmet with my new obsession being jalapeƱo popper grilled cheese sammies), etc. My dad has been super helpful with my move so I wanted to make this when he was around and besides, I was really hungry for something tomato-y, basil-y, and chicken-y. I created a bruschetta chicken. YUM!


Ingredients:
Chicken (I used a pack of 3 boneless, skinless breasts)
Mozz cheese (shredded or block is fine)
Tomato (heirloom, roma, whatever suits your fancy - I used one decent sized heirloom)
Basil (a heaping handful - mine was fresh from my garden!)
Half a red onion
Balsamic vinegar (about 1c)
And a little bit of salt, pepper, and extra virgin olive oil


First, put your balsamic vinegar in a small pot and reduce it to a nice syrup. This could take anywhere from 10 minutes to a half hour. Just keep reducing until it looks to be a little runnier than maple syrup. I like to do a bigger batch of this and keep it for the future. (Here's a great tutorial on how to do it. And here's a really yummy way to mix it up a bit!)


Next, salt and pepper the chickens and put them on the grill to get happy. I used my George Foreman G5 which is, honestly, the second best investment I've ever made (first being my Dyson - wowee do I love that thing!).


While the chickens are getting cooked, chop up your tomato, onion, and basil and put into a separate bowl and mix together. You can add a dash of salt and pepper here too, if you'd like. Also, cut your mozz cheese in slices (or at least get it out if you have shredded).


Next: assemble! Place the chicken in a oven safe dish and put the mozz cheese on top. You can choose to broil it for a few minutes until the cheese melts, or continue to assemble and bake it at about 250 for 10 minutes until the cheese melts. After the cheese comes the bruschetta topping, then drizzle the balsamic glaze and a dash of olive oil and you're done!


Enjoy! :)

Now please link up some of your favorite recipes!!

No comments: