Sunday, September 16, 2012

Corn & Pumpkins: fall-time is here!

We, like many other people in this country, are pretty big football fans. Brandi is a Bengals fan and I'm a Browns fan. Today they played each other and I thought what better time to have a big family dinner? I made corn chowder, yeast rolls, and some super yummy pumpkin donuts for dessert! I didn't get very good pictures because we were so engrossed in eating everything that I forgot to stage and photograph! But we had a great day of playing with trains, watching football, eating food, and talking with friends and family.

If you click on the picture it will take you to the recipe so you can try for yourself!

These rolls were pretty tasty. They were my first attempt at bread baking without a bread machine and I got quite frustrated with them because the recipe said one thing and what happened was another, but Brandi (my hero) stepped in and said it would be ok and then added more flour and voila! There they are. Thanks B!

This corn chowder was delicious!! It turned out wonderfully! The only thing I did different from the recipe was add bacon because...well...adding bacon to anything makes it better, right? I intended on adding the bacon at the beginning and using the fat to cook the onions and garlic but because it wasn't in the recipe I forgot until after I started boiling the vegetable stock and said 'ahhh! the bacon!!' So I cooked it up in the microwave quickly, then added it in. Next time I make this I'll do it the way I wanted to do it and see if it changes things. Tyler Florence recipe - very good!

Last up: pumpkin donuts. I bought a donut pan just for this recipe and my, oh my, am I glad I did!! I am not a big pumpkin fan but figured I'd give these a try. I made them when B was over because she LOVES pumpkin so I wanted to be sure if I hated them, they would be enjoyed by someone else. Turns out: delicious. And easy, to boot! Go on, make some!!


Also this weekend was a bachelorette party for a friend's wedding that I'm in. I was tasked with gathering something snacky to eat before, 2 bottles of wine, and 'a tiara or sash or something'. So I went hunting. I didn't find anything I liked so I made her a veil. The wedding colors are holly green and ivory so I got little flowers to go on top of the headband. Add in a lot of hot glue and some glittery tulle, and you've got yourself a bachelorette veil! Winning!!

The wine is called 'Our Daily Red' and I loved the bottle so that's why I bought it. It was actually pretty tasty! 
I hope you all had a great weekend! What are you up to this week?


No comments: