Friday, June 22, 2012

We Be Jammin'


New adventure: jelly/jam.

Brandi and I are both experimenting with jams and jellies this year. I was at the grocery store the other day and the apricots were so fragrant that I had to snag some. I wanted something to go with them so I grabbed a package of raspberries and went on my way. My, oh my, am I glad I did. This jam has such a great flavor to it! I have to wait for it to set, but I'm really hoping it works out as well as I think it did! *fingers crossed*

Here's what I did:

1.5lb apricots
2pkg raspberries (the little ones)
1/2c water
5.5c sugar
1tbsp lemon juice

Cut up fruits and put into stock pot (minimum size 4qt) and add the water. Cook down on medium-low heat until the fruits are mushy and cooked through stirring occasionally.


Add sugar and cook on low heat (like a 2 or somewhere around there, a little less than you had before) until reduced. Stirring frequently to keep it from burning. (You can also skim off the white stuff that forms on top, but I don't mind it so I leave it.)

Once it starts to gel, you can do the freezer test, the spoon test or any other test you want to use to check and be sure it's the right consistency.


Ladle into clean jars and process (10 minutes should be enough) or place in refrigerator (for up to a year).

Enjoy!! Go ahead and try other combinations. Brandi made a peach/raspberry that's pretty yum, too! Get creative!



1 comment:

Little Sprinkles Of Fun said...

Following your from Pinned it made it! :)